In generations past, families used to gather & share history over dinner. These days, we can live anywhere in the world. It’s harder to pass stories onto the next generation.
Our mission is to share stories from history with future generations, so they aren’t lost.
- Launceston Junior Technical School, later (1949) known as Launceston Technical High SchoolMOTO: CUM STUDIO ET HONORE – With Zeal and Honour. Beginnings – On 10 February 1919, […]
- Mystery – A Mackerel LuggerThe Smallest Boat to Sail from England to Australia When the Mystery set sail for Australia […]
- Paranormal HappeningsOver the years, a number of unusual happenings have occurred, some within the family while others […]
- Glenore – Whitemore (Tasmania)The following history was written c1988 by Ivan Badcock with the view of it being included […]
- Cornish Female Convicts Transported to Van Diemen’s LandAround 24,000 women convicts were transported to Australia, with some 12,500 sent to Van Diemen’s Land […]
- Newman Williatt (1797-1832) & familyAmongst Longford’s early residents were Newman Williatt and his wife Eliza and one child, they moved […]
- Fires in the Bishopsbourne Area (1839 – 1982)1839 – Minette, Liffey River – Colonial Times, 13 August 1839 House and out-buildings burnt to […]
- Liffey Wesleyan Methodist church in Bishopsbourne later moved to Elphinstone, CressyLiffey Wesleyan Methodist Church in Bishopsbourne (1872-1909) moved to Elphinstone, Cressy, Methodist Church 1909-1947 At the […]
- Perth (Tasmania) Methodist Church (later Uniting Church)A history by Harry Bean printed and distributed for the 150-year celebration of the Methodist Church […]
- Lee: Sir Walter Henry (1874 – 1963)Early Life and Family Sir Walter Henry Lee moved from being a wagon builder at Longford […]
- Ivan Badcock: Primary Schooling Bishopsbourne & Bracknell – 1948-1955I commenced school at Bishopsbourne after the September school holidays in 1948 and remained there until […]
- PAGE: John Thomas & Rose Alice Rebecca (nee McGiveron)John Thomas Page (9/7/1872 – 20/6/1961) Our grandfather, John Thomas Page, was born in the Bracknell […]
- GOODYER: John Eli & Susannah Sarah (nee Chapman)John (1823 – 1908) a convict and farmer – Susannah (1827 – 1908) a mother and […]
- Presbyterian Church, Evandale, Tasmania (now Uniting Church) & Reverend Robert Russell (1808-1877)Attached is a history of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and Reverend Russell, written and published in […]
- Launceston Technical SchoolingThe Launceston Junior Technical School, which commenced in 1919, grew out of the Government Launceston Technical […]
About History Over Dinner
A collection of articles written by historian Ivan Badcock and published online by his digitally savvy daughter Bec Badcock. It all started when…
Visiting Northern Tasmania? Follow Ivan’s self-drive tour guide from Longford to the magnificent Liffey Falls.
Join the conversation
A shout out to all the history enthusiasts enriching the conversation by commenting on the blog posts. The latest 5 comments are shown below.
Very interesting reading Ivan . My mother was Clarice Badcock daughter of Roy and Florence . I would be very…
an absolutely brilliant article . as i was reading it , it ran completely parallel to my family . william…
I am John Goodyer ( b ) 1952 Leeds, England. John Eli Goodyer ( b ) 1823 Bulkington, England. was…
Hello I am helping a friend trace some family history and need some info. I dont know if I have…
More comments can be found on the blog.
The family have a lot more information on Arthur. What is your connection – just the Technical School?