Launceston Junior Technical School, later (1949) known as Launceston Technical High School

   MOTO: CUM STUDIO ET HONORE – With Zeal and Honour. Beginnings – On 10 February 1919, when the school doors were thrown open to admit students, 55 boys were enrolled and soon after, increasing to 63. Later in the year, the Spanish flu struck, and the school was closed from late August till mid-October, and […]

Cornish Female Convicts Transported to Van Diemen’s Land

Around 24,000 women convicts were transported to Australia, with some 12,500 sent to Van Diemen’s Land of which 78 have been identified as coming from Cornwall, England. General details for Cornish convicts are attached. Transportation ceased to Van Diemen’s Land in 1853. A brief profile on each Cornish V.D.L. convict, including their lives after arrival, […]

Newman Williatt (1797-1832) & family

Amongst Longford’s early residents were Newman Williatt and his wife Eliza and one child, they moved there from Launceston, Tasmania around 1829. Newman Williatt and Eliza Towers married in Launceston on 29 July 1824. While living in Launceston, the birth of two children have been located, a girl, Janet Elizabeth, born on 1 October 1825 […]

Liffey Wesleyan Methodist church in Bishopsbourne later moved to Elphinstone, Cressy

Liffey Wesleyan Methodist Church in Bishopsbourne (1872-1909) moved to Elphinstone, Cressy, Methodist Church 1909-1947 At the Wesleyan District meeting in Launceston on Friday 10 November 1871, approval was given to build “a small wooden church at the Liffey”. A congregation had been meeting there prior to 1848, it being noted as a preaching place in […]

Perth (Tasmania) Methodist Church (later Uniting Church)

A history by Harry Bean printed and distributed for the 150-year celebration of the Methodist Church in 1988. Correction: Sir Walter Lee became Premier of Tasmania for the first time in 1916. He later became Premier of Tasmania again in 1923 and 1934. Perth Church Closing Service, 8 October 2002 Pictured (L-R) – Ray Hanham, […]